Thursday, July 16, 2009

Everything I need to know in life I learned from Alfonso Ribeiro


As a Stratton, I relished in watching the on-screen exploits of one Ricky "Rickster" Stratton on Silver Spoons. I mean, he had a TRAIN he could ride around his house, and he was friends with tiny Jason Bateman and the one, the only Alfonso Ribeiro. Long before his nerdy Carlton Banks, Alfonso was a smooth-moving, break-dancing MJ protege. As a fan of BOTH of 1984's big-screen breakdancing flicks Breakin' and the far-superior Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo, I was tempted to order Alfonso's how-to poppin' guide (complete with large cardboard breaking area and 2 LP set of dancin' music!). Sadly lacking a credit card or parents with a belief in my breakin' prowess, it was never to be. I had to learn on my own. Sure, I gave it up for little league and theatre...but I've been known, on occasion, to break out into an impromptu windmill at stagnant parties. And for that, I thank you, Adolfo 'Shabba-Doo' Quinones. I thank you, Michael 'Boogaloo Shrimp' Chambers. Heck, thanks to Bruno 'Pop n' Taco' Falcon and Timothy 'Poppin' Pete' Solomon. But mostly, thank YOU, Alfonso Ribeiro.

Here, uncut, is the TV ad for Alfonso's Breakin' book. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment