Friday, July 31, 2009

What do you think 'sin the burgers?


I was saddened to hear about the passing of Les Lye, Canadian character actor extraordinaire, best known for his cavalcade of characters on You Can't Do That On Television (he played Barth, El Capitano, and the on-screen station manager). As a child of Nickelodeon, I was raised on Canadian kids shows, include YCDTOT, Pinwheel, and Today's Special. I was more apt to rave about Plus and Minus than Bert and Ernie--I loved fancy Muffy the Mouse and the slime antics of Allisdair and Christine (a.k.a. "Moose"). Every now and then I find myself muttering, "We must be in the opposites!" and watching the skies should I say "Water" or "I don't know." Heck, YCDTOT also featured a young Alanis Morrissette, pre Dave Coulier baggage. The show had a bit of a Monty Python mentality with lots of vaudeville schtick thrown in, and truly anchored the Nickelodeon line up for the decade it was on television. Les, you'll be missed.

Here is a chunk of video from the show, which includes Lye's famous characters ("Ready...Aim...!"), a lengthy opposites section, and good ol' Christine.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks i like your blog very much , i come back most days to find new posts like this.

    ReplyDelete